Sunday 28 January 2007

Planespotting

Assalamualaikum
On days like today where there isnt much to do and nothing else to surf for on the net, I usually end up looking at pictures of aircrafts. What this is, is popularly known as Planespotting. Ideally, planespotting should be an outing where you go out, of course somewhere close to the airport and look at airplanes and take pictures and stuff. Now in Brunei, yes you can sort of do that, but lets be honest here, how many different types of aircrafts and airlines lands at our Brunei airport. To be frank, I think I've seen most of Brunei airport regulars. The SQs TGs the Silk Airs and the Air Asias and of course BIs. So that would not make an interesting outing would it? Of course there are those odd ones which comes to Brunei occasionally for checks and stuff. And there are those which comes by on a charter, either commercially or otherwise and those which lands here in Brunei unplanned. e.g. refuelling. I remember Air Niugini B747 once landed in Brunei for the purpose of that. Exciting stuff! So obviously, the busier the airport the better it is for plane spotters.


While I agree that some people might find it quite a weird hobby that I have going on. (For those who know me, it would certainly look even weirder. What do I do again? heheh) But it is no more weirder than say watching F1 racing. Which I do enjoy watching too. There are those who consider planespotting a serious hobby. As for me, I would not consider myself anywhere near that. Merely a simple and plain plane spotter. Occasionally looking up in the sky when theres a plane passing by. Once in a while go on the net. But after saying hat I did previously go to airshows. Seiously cool stuff! Planes spotters can be distinguished by the stuff or gadgets they carry with many of them carrying binoculars (to take a closer look at aircraft registration), radios (to listen in to the conversation between the tower and pilots and various other information such as which runway is in use and the weather condition etc) and notes (to jot down which plane is doing what). Those who take this hobby seriously would know stuff like the schedule of flight arrivals and what aircraft would be in use. They would notice when an airplane arrives late and if a different aircraft is sent to operate a flight, it would create a buzz amongst them. The buzz will be heighten especially if that particular aircraft is never or seldom seen at that particular airport. For you and me, I guess its like looking at A380 for the first time, it would have the same sort of buzz. Or maybe not. heheh


For me, what interest me the most is the types of aircrafts and the colours they sport. The beautiful or not so beautiful liveries. Whether their colours suit them. Who has a new liveries. who has the best liveries. Who has a kick ass special livery. Who has special logos/mascots on their aircrafts e.g. Awang Budiman for the 1999 SEA games on RBA airplanes. Where they come from. Which airlines has which aircrafts. Those mismatched colours and logos (esp. leased aircrafts from one airline to another) There is also the history side of the aircraft. When was it built. What production number does it have. Who was its first owner. Who is their current operator. Stuff like that. It is al comercial airlinrs for me. Not so much of military aircrafts. Although those really cool ones do intrigue me too.


Travelling is one of my passion. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to do much of that. Planes from foreign and exotic places conjur up the images of the places they come from. Its a bit like watching a travel show really. Needless to say, whenever I travel and especially travelling to a busy airport, I would have a field day. I would get excited and go mad. Titik2 aying liur~ Inda wah heheh I'd be sitting behind the biggest window I could find and watch airplanes pass by. I must say the best place to do this that I have experienced is the quiet section of the departure hall T2 at Singapore Changi Airport. And now they have added this foot massage machine to help you relax even more. For me its just amazing. I enjoy that so much. I remember when I was as young, about 11 or 12, on one of our trips to Singapore, my parents would let me roam all over the airport on my own. Now thinking about it, I cant believe they let me. Tapinya 11/12 year old atu kira tua jau sudah kali tu ah. So not a big deal. My point is, I've been interested in airplanes since I was at that age or earlier. Anyway, on those roaming trips that I had, I would sit behind one of the viewing gallery's huge glass walls and look at planes taking off and landing. One other airport (yang ku parnah lah ah.. atu pun inda jua sebrapa) which equals this aircraft viewing experience is at the Kansai airport, Osaka Japan. They also have amazing view. Not to mention the view of the ocean.


Yang siok jua mliat is the interior of the aircrafts. I mean for someone like me who seldom fly and if I travel pun usually on RBA, looking at the interiors of other cariers is also siok. Kesian bunyinya heheh Interesting to see who has what in their aircrafts. AVOD and angles bed and flat beds and even a 'cabin' seats. Its amazing how they are trying to outdo each other. As for me.. angan2 saja lah heheh


Anyways, I have a few pictures with links to show you guys of our beloved national carrier Royal Brunei Airlines aircrafts on their missions. For Royal Brunei or otherwise.


I have also put up several links at the side if you wish to see more pics or know more about planespotting.



Picture with Awang Budiman and SEA Games 1999 logo on the side of B767


Another pic with Awang Budiman on the side byut on B757 this time

F100

RBA flights operating with leased aircraft from Lan Chile. Notice the chrome coloured belly as supposed to the usual yellow and the stripes are slightly higher than they are usually on other RBA B767 aircrafts.

No logo no name. heheh weird eh

Even weirder. This B757 Just came back from a stint with Oman Air. Not fully repainted into RBA colours yet. How cool is that eh

B767 with Visit Brunei year sticker

A rare one. B737.


Pictures courtesy of www.airliners.net Kindly please click on the pics to go to their sources.

No comments: